Analytical Specialist, Chemistry
Raleigh, NC · Job ID: 9070 · · Industry: Staff Laboratory
Lighthouse is working with a hospital lab near Raleigh NC searching for an Analytical Specialist, specializing in Chemistry. This role will administer and coordinate technical activities in the Chemistry and Urinalysis Laboratory Sections to ensure effective technical operation. Duties and responsibilities for this position classification are specified by the medical director are as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities of the Analytical Specialist
May perform any or all of the following duties without direct supervision:
Administer and coordinate the technical activities of personnel in the Chemistry and Urinalysis sections of the Laboratory to ensure effective technical operation in accordance with established practices.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and reagents and communicate when supplies require ordering. Assist with putting inventory away in a timely fashion to ensure product integrity. Ensure that reagents and supplies are rotated verifying expiry dates. Discard expired materials and notify the supervisor so that replacement can be made in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement Quality Control programs to ensure reliability of testing procedures, the proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with federal regulations.
- Prepare and maintain related quality control records (To include Biorad Peer Submission).
- Provide daily, weekly and monthly oversight and follow up of all QC activities and ensure that variances are brought to the immediate attention of the Laboratory Manager, laboratory staff, and if necessary the Medical Director.
- Oversee and review “Interlab QC”
Troubleshooting and Issues Resolution:
- Provide ongoing technical support to the staff in areas of correcting QC outliers or instrument failure. Support employee development by openly sharing information with staff to create a learning environment. This includes making oneself available outside of “regular” business hours.
- Perform specialized procedures requiring advanced skill and theoretical knowledge
- Follow up with technical support / service as needed.
- Assure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
- Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
- Notify the Lab Manager of ongoing or irresolvable service issues.
- Notify the Lab Manager immediately of any situation with a potential to compromise patient care.
- Ensure that all aspects of the Proficiency Testing are properly followed:
- Oversee the receipt and distribution of proficiency testing material
- Ensure testing is completed as per policy and that submission takes place within established due dates
- Ensure PT results are thoroughly reviewed, and remedial actions are taken to resolve PT failures.
- Complete “PT Outlier / Bias Investigation” form in a timely manner
- Proficiency testing may be used as an employee competency assessment tool. Provide pertinent information to the laboratory supervisor for employee follow up as necessary.
- Ensure laboratory subsections are CAP compliant with all checklist items pertaining to subsection technical specialty. Participate actively in the following:
- annual self inspection
- CAP preparedness and readiness
- CAP day of inspection and follow up
- MOCK inspections
- Offsite CAP inspections
- Review CAP Activity menu at minimum annually to ensure that it is complete and current
- Review and update ELM annually
Instrument Validation / Test Validation:
- Define, design, validate and review any new instrument / assay implementation to ensure the performance characteristics and medical reliable data is available.
- In collaboration with the Laboratory Medical Director, and Laboratory Manager, develop and validate methods and assays appropriate to the Chemistry and Urinalysis Laboratory keeping in mind standardization efforts
- Report progress and developments to the Medical Director, and Laboratory Manager.
- Oversee and/or assist in the development and implementation of instruments, analytical methods / assays, techniques and procedures to ensure:
- Ensure all procedures are managed through the official Clinical Laboratory document control system – Soft Tech
- Develop and edit technical procedures on an ongoing basis ensuring that procedures accurately reflect lab practice, and include CAP required elements.
- Ensure an approved procedure manual is available in Soft Tech to all personnel responsible for any aspect of the testing process.
- Require “read and sign” by staff as appropriate for laboratory technical changes / updates
- Ensure that written procedures are signed and dated by the Medical Director at initial use and at any time there is a significant change in the procedure.
- Follow up in Soft Tech to ensure annual review has taken place.
- Back up section specific policies in SoftTech as per QM recommendations.
Participate in the annual evaluation, competency testing and documentation for all testing personnel
- Collaborate with the Laboratory Supervisor, and Analytical Specialist Hematology / Urinalysis to develop annual competency material fulfilling CAP requirements.
- Collaborate with the Laboratory Supervisor and Analytical Specialist for Hematology / Urinalysis to ensure material is distributed and completed within established time frames.
- Develop and mentor key operators.
- Meet with key operators on a regular basis to discuss analyzer issues, employee concerns, new developments etc.
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to personnel in routine and advanced laboratory techniques.
- Provide technical expertise and knowledge in data interpretations, trouble shooting advanced instrumentation and assay performance.
- Provide information to physicians about the significance of clinical laboratory data and technology.
- Arrange, create and or conduct formal training programs and workshops for lab staff to enhance competency.
- Make recommendations and arrangements for CE’s
- Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. This could include the development of section specific action plans and follow up.
- Prepare and report monthly metrics for the department Balanced Score Card as directed by the Laboratory Manager
- Ensure that result reports include pertinent information required for interpretation.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related field
Three to five years of laboratory experience required to gain specific knowledge of routine and specialized procedures and tests in specified area of specialty (e.g., Serology, Special Hematology, Biochemistry etc).
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
Certification in Medical Technology by a nationally recognized agency/board and/or in the specialized field of the assigned Lab.
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 14 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com
#13579 Job ID: 9045