The Blood Bank Supervisor is responsible for the 24-hour function of a specific section of the Laboratory. The Supervisor is responsible for processing specimens in the blood bank section and is considered an expert in the area. Provides the mechanism for ensuring accurate test results, issue resolution, orientation, and ongoing competency of personnel. The Blood Bank Supervisor promotes staff development and acts as the lab resource person for the section. Promotes professional collaboration at all levels. Maintains active communication and strengthens collaborative relationships among the pathologists, medical staff, nursing units, the blood bank section, and other lab staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Supervises the employees of assigned area ensuring efficiency of workflow and continuity of services.
– Is accessible to all staff while testing is performed either by telephone, electronic consultation or is on-site to resolve any technical problems.
– Responsible for supervising high-complexity testing performed by testing personnel.
– Monitors test analysis and specimen examinations to maintain acceptable levels of analytic performance.
– Is on-site providing direct supervision when high-complexity testing is performed or reviews the work within the next business day.
– Maintains a good working relationship within the departments and with other hospital departments.
– Interacts professionally with the Clinical Laboratory Director, Lab general supervisor and all laboratory personnel.
– Alters or adjusts methods and procedures for neonates, pediatrics, adults and geriatrics.
– Responsible for quality control procedures and instrument checks as well as demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation.
– Responsible for inventory of reagents and supplies in the laboratory, reports needed supplies to the general supervisor.
– Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
– Participates in the ongoing monitoring for each testing process to identify errors or potential problems leading to errors and takes effective and preventive corrective actions when indicated
– Provides leadership and technical expertise for the department helping to resolve issues associated with protocol, equipment, interpretation of test results and system interfaces
– Creates and maintains policy and procedures for Blood Bank department
– Demonstrates a good working relationship with the Laboratory Director (Pathologist) who serves as the Technical Supervisor for Blood Bank
– Attends annual review and departmental in-services, as scheduled.
– Attends staff meetings; reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
– Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
– Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
– Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology (ASCP) or Medical Laboratory Science (ASCP)
– Minimum 2 years’ experience in Blood Bank, 5 years’ experience as a MT/MLS preferred.
Salary and Shift:
– Day; Needs to be flexible
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has more than 16 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry-level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com