This leadership position involves the performance of supervisory duties in the absence of the Forensic Chemistry Supervisor and the supervision of lab employees. As required, the Team Leader also performs analytical testing, isolation, identification, and quantitation, as applicable, of chemical substances in forensic casework samples, and the administrative and technical review of casework. This person is responsible for specimen processing, test performance, reporting of test results, and the quality assurance and documentation of analytical processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Performs receiving, log in, data entry, handling/aliquoting, and sampling of chemical specimens, as needed
– Independently performs analytical testing utilizing instrumental, chemical, microscopic and TLC methods as applicable
– Maintains the appropriate chain of custody of evidence
– Generates, interprets, reviews, and releases results
– Performs administrative and technical review of casework.
– Prepares necessary documentation for legal proceedings and provides expert testimony when necessary
– Prepares and validates reagents, controls and calibrators
– Performs routine maintenance and basic troubleshooting of analytical instrumentation
– Supervises lab staff and assists Supervisor as needed
– Performs casework management including prioritizing and assigning cases, directing the analytical testing required, and monitoring turn-around-time
– Responsible for hiring, firing, training, scheduling, career development, continuing education, performance reviews, recommending rewards, providing feedback, taking disciplinary action, and representing the department at company meetings
– Implements, performs, maintains, and improves appropriate quality assurance and quality control procedures as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor, Assistant Laboratory Director, Laboratory Director or Quality Director
– Oversees training of personnel in chemical and/or instrumental methods
– Manages new and improved methods and operations
– Effectively communicates scientific findings to internal and external clients
– Keeps current with appropriate scientific advances and literature in forensic science
– Maintains regular and reliable attendance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Working knowledge of analytical procedures including a basic understanding of analytical terminology, methods and theory, and methods of data interpretation
– Demonstrates an understanding of chemical, and instrumental methods, principles, and their significance to forensic applications.
– Ability to comprehend regulations and SOP’s and apply them to work operations
– Able to exhibit professional and effective interpersonal skills in communicating and coordinating with internal professional staff, and external clients including law enforcement, attorneys, and other external organizations
– Knowledge of regulatory compliance standards and safety practices
– Possesses good organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication, and computer skills.
– Ability to adapt to changes
– Demonstrates a high level of integrity
– Ability to prioritize and designate resources
– Ability to work effectively with management and technical staff to promote an effective workflow
– Familiarity with law enforcement and forensic science disciplines of seized drug analysis and/or toxicology (BAC)
Required Education and Experience:
– Degree must be in a chemical, physical, biological science, or forensic science from an accredited university with a minimum of 5 years lab related experience, or Master’s degree with a minimum of 3 years lab related experience
– Minimum of 16 semester credit hours in college-level chemistry coursework above General Chemistry
– Coursework and labs in General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Analytical (Instrumental) Chemistry
– 3 college-level semester credit hours in Statistics
– Licensed by the Texas Forensic Science Commission within 1 year of hire, as applicable
– Demonstrated leadership skills Preferred
– ABC certified
– Court testimony experience.
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 17 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com