Manager, Immunohistochemistry Laboratory- 67610BR
Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
General Purpose: The IHC Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a team of Histotechnologists for a growing immunohistochemistry (IHC) and in-situ hybridization (ISH) laboratory, as well as an outreach histology laboratory.
This position is responsible for ensuring the laboratory functions efficiently and provides high quality services in a timely fashion. Appropriate attention to quality control and regulatory guidelines is required. This position oversees the maintenance of all IHC laboratory documentation, troubleshoots any problems with the clinical assays and works with their team to resolve any technical issues. The manager works with senior management and the laboratory director to monitor staff performance, schedule staff, and assure adequate staffing of the lab. Finally, the manager works with the clinical laboratory director and other clinical faculty to validate new antibodies and tests and make them clinically available.
- Provides oversight for IHC staining, ISH staining, and immunofluorescence staining. Within outreach histology, oversees tissue processing, embedding, equipment maintenance, stain and equipment troubleshooting, and special staining.
- Establishes and maintains performance and production standards.
- Relies on experience and sound independent judgment to formulate goals and to also resolve day-to-day operational issues.
- Monitors the performance of the clinical assays and troubleshoots as necessary.
- Ensures documentation of all corrective action taken when a test system deviates from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Oversees development of SOPs, training of staff, and implementation of lab procedures to manage operations and ensure consistent adherence to required regulatory guidelines to ensure highest quality and consistency of services.
- Assists senior management with budgetary development, including forecasting, test costing, and capital requirements
- Maintains quality control standards within CAP, CLIA and State guidelines.
- Performs personnel competencies and coaching.
- Develops procedures, trains employees, and ensures appropriate implementation of activities that lead to consistent employee growth and development.
- Ensures clear communication of consistent goals and expectations to the team and holds staff accountable for results.
- Will work at a computer some of the time as well as need to keep inventory and ordering records requiring the use of copiers, fax machines, and PDF scanners.
- May be exposed to hazardous waste including stain waste (i.e., hematoxylin, eosin, etc.) aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene), and other combustible organics (i.e., ethyl alcohol and isopropanol).
- May be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents.
- All laboratory personnel will be required to maintain schedule flexibility and when problems arise, may be required to work overtime or on weekends.
- Accepts other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Physical Requirements: Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Ability to perform repetitive motion. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Ability to transport (from satellite locations) and dump as much as five gallons of hazardous waste at a time into 30-gallon HAZMAT waste drums using safe procedures and PPE. Ability to handle and transport hazardous waste material. Visual acuity and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail. Manual dexterity to use common laboratory equipment and microscopes.
- Minimum 5 years’ Immunohistochemistry experience.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory or managerial experience.
- Preferred Education and Experience: Master's Degree.
- Preferred Licenses or Certifcations: ASCP HT HTL, or QIHC certification preferred.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://bit.ly/YaleCareers-67610BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards, and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.