Lighthouse Lab Services has partnered with a laboratory in Pittsburgh, PA and we're looking for a Medical Laboratory Technician to join a growing, fast-paced culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Accurately accession and order tests for patient specimens using Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
– Perform ELISA and PCR based molecular testing on patient samples under supervision
– Prepare patient samples for molecular and protein analysis
– Perform DNA extraction as required
– Prepare reagents for testing as needed
– Record quality control data
– Perform routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment
– Perform all work according to written standard operating procedures and document all work performed
– Train lab staff on day to day functioning and routine laboratory tests
Promote safety in the laboratory
– Be alert for potentially unsafe behavior, practices, set-ups, situations, and correct them; or bring them to the attention of the laboratory supervisor if you are unsure of the proper procedures to be used
– Enforce proper use of safety goggles, proper handling of chemical spills, proper handling of broken glassware, proper collection of chemical waste for disposal, and proper disposal of non-hazardous laboratory waste
– Perform routine safety checks, such as but not limited to fire safety, first aid and spill kits maintenance
Maintain the laboratory in general
– Clean the hoods, the areas around balances and instruments used during the laboratory period
– Maintain inventory and bring to supervisor attention items needed (kits, tubes, alcohol, lab coats, gloves, etc.)
– Disinfect and clean all used glassware and plastic containers daily
– Maintain cleanliness of personal station(s) at all times
– Dispose of bio-hazardous material properly'
– Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee and is subject to change at any time without notice.
Education and/or Work Experience:
– 4 Year Degree in a life science field (Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry)
– 1-3 Years in Laboratory environment with knowledge of ELISA and RT-PCR techniques
– ASCP (or AAB) Certification – MB, MT, or MLT preferred or obtain certification within 12 months of hire date.
– Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
– Ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
– This position may require long periods of standing and lifting up to 20 pounds to complete daily tasks
– Good hand and eye coordination and the ability to use technical equipment with accuracy
– Ability to maintain and calibrate technical equipment
– Time management skills in order to work on several different projects at the same time
– Flexibility in order to work with and provide support for a number of people
– Excellent oral communication skills in order to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organization and to explain complex techniques to interested parties
– Experience in providing demonstrations and writing technical reports
– Teamwork skills and patience
– Detail oriented
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 16 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com
#JY Job #12435