Performs testing which requires limited skill and responsibility and a minimal exercise of independent judgment for which the technician has demonstrated competency. Under supervision as defined by CMS, performs general tests on patients of all ages which regularly require a professional level of knowledge to execute, interpret, and/or analyze in an accurate and timely manner.
Minimum Education Required:
High School diploma or equivalent required plus a sufficient number of college and/or technical school courses and clinical training to satisfy the requirements for testing and certification as a medical laboratory technician by an approved certifying agency.
Minimum Education Preferred:
Associates degree in clinical laboratory science, biomedical science, medical technology or in a life / biological science (biology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc.) preferred
Minimum Experience Required:
None required beyond education/training requirement.
Minimum licensure/certification required by law:
Certification as a medical laboratory technician or clinical laboratory technician by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), AMT (American Medical Technologists) or AAB (American Association of Bioanalysts) according to the qualifications through the State of Georgia Department of Community Health, Healthcare Facility, Clinical Laboratory regulations. A person who recently moved into the state of Georgia or recently completed the academic and training/experience requirements may be temporarily classified as technologists or technicians for eighteen (18) months only to afford the person an opportunity to successfully complete an approved qualifying examination. AAB provisional certification not accepted.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
– One year of supervised clinical experience as a medical laboratory technician in a clinical laboratory
– Should be competent in areas of the laboratory being covered, including chemistry, hematology, coagulation, blood bank, microbiology.
– Performs clinical laboratory procedures following established guidelines.
– Resolves technical problems and exhibits other critical thinking skills.
– Performs and monitors Quality Control /instrument maintenance.
– Enters/ retrieves/ transmits laboratory test data into LIS/HIS.
– Maintains complete and accurate documentation.
– Complies with regulations of all existing applicable state, federal and regulatory agencies.
– Assists with the ordering, maintaining, and stocking of supplies.
– Participates in departmental QA and collects data as directed.
– Demonstrates proficiency in the use of the Laboratory Information System.
– Attends regularly scheduled meetings as indicated by Department Supervisor.
– Responsible for accuracy of the test results.
– Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
– Theoretical or conceptual understanding of the techniques, methods, and instrumentation utilized in the modern clinical laboratory.
– Skill and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing. – Ability to work as a member of a team.
– Skill and ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
– Ability to provide excellent customer service.
– Skill and ability to react appropriately in patient care situations.
– Ability to make independent judgment and use initiative.
– Knowledgeable in computer applications including Laboratory and Hospital Information Systems, and applicable software applications.
– Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
Salary and Hours:
Shift: All Shifts Available; 6:30am – 7:00pm and 6:30pm – 7:00am with an every third weekend rotation requirement.
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 17 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com