We are currently looking for a Medical Technologist, Blood Bank to join the day shift at a large health system in Raleigh, NC. This role will be responsible for performing general medical technologist duties within the Blood Bank department. The ideal fit will coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
You should apply to this role if you hold a Medical Technologist / MLS certification MT/MLS(ASCP), no previous experience is required, and new grads will be considered! This role offers a unique opportunity to relocate to the famous Research Triangle Area of North Carolina, a location consistently topping national rankings for best places to work, play, and raise a family.
- Coordinate and participate in the performance and interpretation of complex technical duties in support of medical laboratory testing; record determinations and results for review by laboratory management and physician/caregiver staff.
- Participate in specimen collection when required according to test requested, either directly by venipuncture or skin puncture; maintain responsibility for patient identification, specimen labeling and collection verification, or instructing patients or other healthcare providers in collection and preservation techniques for urine, sputum, stool, scrapings, autologous/directed donations, or other specimens for analysis.
- Set up, evaluate and operate current and new equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests and assume adequate responsibility to maintain operations including preventive maintenance.
- Coordinate the preparation and quality assurance of culture media, chemicals, reagents, stains and solutions as appropriate.
- Evaluate collected laboratory data and prepare reports assessing accuracy, completeness, timeliness, progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees
- Participate in the development and implementation of clinical evaluations.
- Act as a person in charge (PIC) as well as a resource person/role model, as per guidelines determined by laboratory management.
- Monitor Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Safety and Infection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment.
- Monitor workflow, assessment of staffing levels and reassignment as needed.
- Follow up to ensure work is completed. *Utilize various laboratory and hospital information systems and software.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, clarify orders and communicate status.
- Interact courteously with doctors, nurses and health unit coordinators (HUC) and other healthcare providers when answering questions or providing other information about a patient's results.
- Participate in lab inspections and work with inspectors as needed.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Perform related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting, strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Working knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems is helpful.
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge, and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to perform independently in resolving lab problems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or equivalent preferred
- MT/MLS(ASCP), certification or equivalent
- Prior experience in blood bank is preferred, but new grads are welcome to apply and will be considered
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary of $20 – $35 per hour (based on experience)
- Relocation expenses (up to $1500 in state and $3000 out of state)
- Shift differential
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision, Workers comp coverage
- 403B Retirement plan with matching contribution
- Wellness Programs and Employee Discounts
- Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition assistance
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 16 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Lighthouse Lab Services is committed to working and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including persons with disabilities. If at any time during the application process, you need an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com