Are you a Certified Genetic Counselor (CGC) who's hungry for a change of scenery but you don't quite want to commit to anything permanent? You know, something that will give you great experience in a new place but something that you won't have to feel committed to in the long term. Perhaps you love the comfort of your home office or the local coffee shop or coworking place? What if your next opportunity is located at an exciting cancer center that puts its patients and employees above all else? Keep reading to learn more about this unique opportunity in one of Connecticut's most beautiful and charming locales.
Lighthouse Lab Services is representing a hospital-based cancer center near Essex, Connecticut that is seeking a brand new, Temp Genetic Counselor for a full-time assignment to cover a temporary leave of absence. In this role, you'll have the opportunity to work with the oncology department with access to top-notch genetics researchers and revolutionary cancer screening programs.
Your Mission, Should You Choose To Accept:
– Manage high risk patients referred for hereditary risk assessment, education about inheritance, discussion, testing, interpretation of test results, management, prevention, resources, facilitation of appropriate referrals, coordination and clinical follow-up of screening recommendations of high-risk patients.
– Work with providers to identify patients at risk for heritable cancer syndrome and discuss personalized testing, surveillance, and preventive options.
– Provide empathetic genetic counseling and education to families with adult hereditary cancer syndromes. This will include the testing options and associated risks, benefits and limitations with patients and families to assist them in making informed decisions.
– Assess patient’s psychological or social needs such as those related to stress, fear of test results, financial issues, and others to make referral recommendations or assist patients in managing test outcomes.
– Conduct genetic counseling and obtain informed consent for genetic testing when recommended.
– Communicate test results and interpretation with patient’s provider.
– Ensure recommendations are based on national recommendations such as those from the Agency for Healthcare Research (AHRQ) and the NCCN.
– Assist in the identification of the appropriate clinical research protocols for individuals at high risk or undergoing predisposition testing.
– Develop written educational materials for patients and providers regarding inherited cancer syndromes and predictive testing for cancer susceptibility genes.
– Collaborate with other departments such as radiology and pathology to design strategies to identify patients appropriate for genetic counseling.
– Maintain timely patient charting and billing submissions and provide routine program reports.
– Conduct quarterly audits of records for compliance reports.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Highly competitive hourly pay
– Full benefits
Basic Preferred Profile:
– Master's in Genetic Counseling from an accredited university
– Board Certification by the American Board of Genetic Counselors (ABGC)
– Connecticut GC License eligibility and eligibility for other state licenses as required
– 2-3 years of experience as a Certified Genetic Counselor, preferably in an oncology setting
– Exceptional communication skills
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 16 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Lighthouse Lab Services is committed to working and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including persons with disabilities. If at any time during the application process, you need an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Job ID: 11277