Performs phlebotomy and specimen processing procedures in a client office under minimal supervision. Develops and maintains professional relationships with patients, clients and other laboratory personnel. Performs all tasks in accordance with laboratory Lab procedures and policies
- Collects blood specimens from patients of all age groups and physical conditions by venipuncture or capillary technique as outlined by laboratory policies and procedure
- Labels each specimen completely, accurately and legibly, such that the Accessioning Department can read everything on the label.
- Completes test request forms completely and accurately in accordance with laboratory procedure.
- Centrifuges blood specimens as required by protocol and prepare specimens to maintain specimen integrity for transport to the appropriate laboratory.
- Completes all required documentation (patient logs etc.) on same day as event is occurring.
- Maintains appropriate inventory levels to ensure that specimens can be collected as required, all clerical duties can be performed, and the collection site can be kept clean.
- Professional to customers: greets pleasantly, doesn’t raise voice, interrupt, demand info, speaks clearly and concisely, answers phone promptly.
- Professional to staff: pleasant, shares info relevant to work, no gossiping or disparaging remarks, accepts work without complaint or provides reason(s) why assignment is unmanageable, asks and answers questions related to improving department performance.
- Attendance meets department guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education High School or equivalent
Minimum Experience 1 year in phlebotomy
License/Certification Phlebotomy certification by an accredited agency, completion
of an approved phlebotomy training course, or equivalent
experience through previous employment.
Must meet all state and local requirements
Skills: Communication Communicates effectively as required
Experienced and efficient with computers
Excellent interpersonal skills
Must complete compliance training provided by lab prior to start date
Must complete specimen procedure course provided by lab prior to start date
TB test required once a year
Hep B Vaccine offered
Working Conditions Possible exposure to infection from disease-bearing specimens
Regularly exposed to risk of blood-borne diseases
Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
Work independently, sometimes alone
Must follow Universal Precautions
Required Protective Equipment Eye protection
Non-sterile medical gloves
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent
- License/Certification Phlebotomy certification by an accredited agency, completion of an approved phlebotomy training course, or equivalent experience through previous employment.
- Must meet all state and local requirements
#LLS Job #11239