Lighthouse Lab Services is currently seeking a Cytotechnologist to join a very well established independent clinical laboratory in the Brooklyn, NY area. This individual will be responsible for staining, mounting, and studying cells of the human body, under a microscope, to detect evidence of cancer, hormonal abnormalities, and other pathological conditions, following established standards and practices.
What will you be doing in this role?
– Be alert and aware always to ensure safety, accuracy, and efficiency.
– Maintains effective laboratory operations by adhering to standards of specimen collection, preparation, or laboratory safety
– Documents specimens by verifying patient and specimen identification
– Prepares microscopic slides from specimens of human cells
– Mounts, stains, and examines smears under a microscope to evaluate specimen quality and recommends acceptance or rejections to Pathologist
– Examines cell samples under the microscope to detect abnormalities in the color, shape, or size of cellular components and patterns
– Classifies and distinguishes abnormal cell structures and reports abnormalities to Pathologists for further examination
– Provides patient clinical data or microscopic findings to assist Pathologists in preparation of pathology reports
– Maintains roster of patients requiring follow-up analysis and advises Pathology of cell changes in subsequent specimen analysis
– Prepares and analyzes samples, such as Papanicolaou (PAP) smear, body fluids, and fine needle aspirations (FNAs), to detect abnormal conditions
– Enters data from analysis of medical tests and clinical results into the information system for storage
– Utilizes centrifuge to separate cells and sediment from blood serum
– Operates, calibrates, and maintains equipment used in quantitative and qualitative analysis, such as spectrophotometers, calorimeters, flame photometers, and computer-controlled analyzes
– Performs quality control checks of instruments, solutions, and test results against established standards
– Adjusts, maintains, or repairs laboratory equipment such as microscopes
– Maintains strictest confidentiality
– Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, policies, and procedural manuals
– Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA regulations
– Perform other duties as assigned
Preferred Candidate Profile:
– Bachelor’s degree in the field of Laboratory Science
– New York State Cytotechnologist license (NYS)
– Board of Certification (BOC) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP)
– Knowledge of CLIA regulations regarding proficiency testing, quality assurance and quality control
– Knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures, equipment, and testing to monitor control checks
– Knowledge of medical terminology to perform cell structure laboratory tests and to communicate with the staff regarding cytotechnology testing
– Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests and operating a variety of laboratory instrumentation equipment
Salary and Benefits:
– Base salary of $24-$29 per hour
– Relocation on a case-by-case basis
– Health Insurance
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 16 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.