Lighthouse Lab Services has partnered with a healthcare provider in Berkeley Heights, NJ to fill a Temporary Histology Tech I position to perform the routine tasks associated with making stained slides from surgically excised tissue for the purpose of diagnosis by a pathologist. This role requires a highly skilled and competent individual.
Essential Job functions:
Essential Job functions:
- Embeds, cuts, stains and performs other tasks required to process tissue in the Histology lab.
- Performs necessary tests for each sample as required. Follows standard operating procedures for all testing.
- Performs accurate gross description on tissue samples.
- Operates all instruments/equipment according to accepted written procedures.
- Registers and processes cases in the LIS; prints worksheets and labels.
- Meets acceptable turnaround time and productivity standards for the section.
- Recognizes testing errors/discrepancies or problems and notifies appropriate personnel; assists in problem resolution.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of the LIS and its application to all aspects of job related functions.
- Recognizes and resolves computer problems. Recognizes and resolves other problems or inconsistencies.
- Ensures that records are accurate, complete, legible, and appropriately filed and stored.
- Operates all instruments/ equipment according to accepted written procedures.
- Recognizes and identifies instrument/ equipment problems.
- Resolves instrument/ equipment problems or contacts appropriate technical service.
- Performs and documents all routine and non-routine maintenance according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintains a clean, neat and orderly workplace including instrument and general laboratory equipment.
- Performs and documents Quality Control daily according to established laboratory protocol.
- Performs proficiency testing, as requested.
- Reviews quantities and expiration dates of all supplies. Verifies receipt, labels records and stores supplies received.
- Has knowledge of other SMG computer systems in order to obtain clinical information.
- Prepares reagents as needed.
- Assists with training new employees.
General Job functions:
- Other job duties as required.
Education, Certification, Computer and Training Requirements:
- Associate’s degree required.
- 2-4 years experience required.
- HT or HTL (ASCP) preferred.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing required.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills; develop, plan, and organize successful projects required.
- Ability to function autonomously and is an independent decision maker required.
- Experience with performing gross descriptions on biopsy specimens preferred.
- Experience with Standard Office Equipment (Phone, Fax, Copy Machine, Scanner, Email/Voice Mail) preferred.
- Experience with Standard Office Technology in a Window based environment preferred.
- Experience with Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) preferred.
- Competitive salary and benefits
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 17 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com
LK #JD 14525