– Independently performs laboratory procedures for which the technologist has been trained and demonstrated competency.
– Independently performs laboratory testing on patients of all ages using professional knowledge of laboratory procedures, executing, interpreting and/or analyzing, in an accurate and timely manner.
Minimum Education Required:
High school diploma or equivalent required plus a sufficient number of college and/or technical school courses and clinical training to satisfy the requirements for testing and certification as a medical technologist by an approved certifying agency.
Minimum Education Preferred:
Bachelor’s Degree in clinical laboratory science, biomedical science, medical technology or in a life / biological science (biology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc.) preferred
Minimum Licensure/Certification required by law:
Certification as a medical technologist or medical laboratory scientist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), AMT (American Medical Technologists) or AAB (American Association of Bioanalysts) according to the qualifications through the State of Georgia Department of Community Health, Healthcare Facility, Clinical Laboratory regulations. A person who recently moved into the state of Georgia or recently completed the academic and training/experience requirements may be temporarily classified as technologists or technicians for eighteen (18) months only to afford the person an opportunity to successfully complete an approved qualifying examination. AAB provisional certification not accepted.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
– One year of supervised clinical experience as a medical technologist in a clinical laboratory.
– Should be competent in areas of the laboratory being covered, including chemistry, hematology, coagulation, blood bank, microbiology.
– Performs clinical laboratory procedures following established guidelines. Responsible for accuracy of the test results.
– Resolves technical problems and exhibits other critical thinking skills.
– Performs and monitors Quality Control /instrument maintenance.
– Enters/ retrieves/ transmits laboratory test data into LIS/HIS.
– Maintains complete and accurate documentation.
– Complies with regulations of all existing applicable state, federal and regulatory agencies.
– Demonstrates proficiency in the use of the Laboratory Information System.
– Attends regularly scheduled meetings as indicated by Department Supervisor.
– Proficient in all applicable areas of testing including troubleshooting of instruments and resolving technical problems.
– Performs other duties as may be assigned.
– Oversees the work of technicians, phlebotomists or lab assistants as directed by laboratory leadership.
– Assists with the maintaining and stocking of supplies.
– Participates in departmental QA.
– Theoretical or conceptual understanding of the techniques, methods, and instrumentation utilized in the modern clinical laboratory.
– Skill and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing.
– Ability to work as a member of a team.
– Skill and ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
– Ability to provide excellent customer service.
– Skill and ability to react appropriately in patient care situations.
– Ability to make independent judgment and use initiative.
– Knowledgeable in computer applications including Laboratory and Hospital Information Systems, and applicable software applications.
– Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
– $25 – $41 per hour
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 17 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com