Raleigh, NC · Job ID: 9053 · · Industry: Laboratory Management
Supervisor for the Microbiology team. This role will be accountable for the day to day operational activities associated with patient care and testing in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory. Able to work a bench at least 1 day a week to remain proficient and help the technologists on the bench with their work. Duties and responsibilities as the medical director specifies the position classification are as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and reagents and communicate when supplies require ordering. Assist with putting inventory away in a timely fashion to ensure product integrity. Ensure that reagents and supplies are rotated verifying expiration dates. Discard expired materials and notify the Inventory lead and manager so that replacement can be made in a timely manner.
- Supervise the work of laboratory personnel engaged in performing routine and specialized technical procedures, including planning laboratory work, evaluating work performed and handling procedural and technical laboratory problems.
- Ensure that new employee orientation lists are successfully completed for new hires during the probationary period.
- Ability to train, orient and evaluate the job performance of various laboratory personnel.
- Ensure competency assessments are completed as per CAP requirements annually for existing employees. Coordinate continuing education opportunities for staff on an ongoing basis to support employee development.
- Work in a positive manner with laboratory customers to ensure that customer needs are met and that issue resolution takes place in a timely manner. Represent the laboratory in a professional and positive manner at department, hospital and Clinical Laboratory committee meetings and work groups.
- Work with the Technologists to develop and implement quality assurance programs to ensure reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with federal regulations (ie. CAP). Prepare and maintain applicable records.
- Interpret accrediting agency standards or guidelines for department testing program and translate the requirements into policies and procedures. Initiate corrective action as soon as a deficiency is identified. Complete checklist and other information sheets required. Coordinate and ensure lab preparedness for on-site inspection of accreditation bodies.
- Prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results (ie. customized lab specific reports). Coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses to set forth progress, reveal adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations and conclusions (ie. balanced score card).
- Work with the Tech III and IV to coordinate and participate in the development of new laboratory procedures and techniques. Plan, develop and present training sessions and/or teaching aids as needed to facilitate training of employees for new equipment / procedures / protocols.
- Participate in various personnel functions including but not limited to: performance management, interviewing, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers etc.
- Monitor quality control, quality assurance, safety and infection control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Follow-up of SRS reports (Safety Reporting System) for the designated area of responsibility in a timely manner.
- Ensure working knowledge of various laboratory and hospital information systems and software programs. Assist in the annual validation of the Electronic Laboratory Manual. Assist in the annual LIS system validation.
- Delegate assignments as appropriate to staff and the Lab Technologist III & IV.
- Support, coach and mentor the Lab Technologist III & IV in their daily functions as needed and to ensure employee development.
- Works with the Lab Technologist to design appropriate work schedules for subordinate employees. Plan daily work assignments in order to maintain adequate personnel complement to ensure laboratory efficiency.
- Ensure the laboratory has sufficient supplies, reagents and products to ensure quality care.
- Work with the Lab Technologist to maintain sufficient inventory of products, material supplies and equipment for performance of duties.
- Carry department pager to enable off shift consult as needed.
- Coordinate clinical student rotations to include instruction in laboratory methods, procedures and protocols.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Stay abreast of and execute latest technical and management developments including new lab procedures.
- Demonstrate decision-making abilities in all aspects of performance.
At Lighthouse Lab Services, we offer solutions to help start, grow, and run clinical laboratories. Our recruiting team has over 14 years of proven success placing job seekers in positions ranging from entry level Medical Technologists to seasoned Laboratory Directors. We recruit nationwide, for permanent and travel positions with clients ranging from small hospitals to large reference laboratories.
It is the policy of Lighthouse Lab Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Lighthouse Lab Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Lighthouse Lab Services | 800-838-0602 | lighthouselabservices.com
#13579 Job ID: 9053