Lighthouse Lab Services
Our Terms and Conditions of Sale
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE OF PRODUCTS
Last modified: May 10, 2021
Thank you for your interest in purchasing products from LMSI, LLC d/b/a Lighthouse Lab Services (referred to herein as “we,” “us”, “our” or “LLS”). We value your business, and our goal is to make your purchasing experience as smooth as possible. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, your purchase of products is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Agreement Terms
- General Terms. These terms and conditions (“Terms”) govern the relationship between you and us for your purchase of products from us. You agree to accept and be bound by these Terms by ordering products from Lighthouse.
- Terms Conflict. In the event of conflicting terms between these Terms and your Master Services Agreement with us, both documents shall be read together and harmonized to the extent possible, and where not possible, these Terms shall control with regards to your purchase of products from us, and the Master Services Agreement shall control otherwise.
- When Agreement takes Effect. This Agreement between us is created whenever you receive email confirmation that we have accepted your order.
- Determining Price. We may change our prices at any time by providing you with 30 days’ written notice.
- Taxes and Fees. Our product prices do not include any taxes (including VAT), duties, levies or other government fees that may apply to your order. If they apply, it will be your responsibility to pay them. If we pay them, we will add them to your invoice. If you claim any exemption, you must provide a valid, signed certificate or letter of exemption for each respective jurisdiction.
- Delivery Fees; Freight Policy. You are also responsible for standard delivery and handling charges, if applicable, and our product prices do not include such charges unless expressly stated. If we pay such charges, we will also add these to your invoice.
- Cancellation and Changes
Once you have placed your order and received confirmation, you cannot cancel or change it without our written consent.
- Delivery. We will ship products to the destination you specify in your order, FOB our shipping point. By agreeing to these Terms, you (i) give your consent for us to arrange for carriage for all products supplied hereunder on your behalf; and (ii) waive your right to arrange carriage or to give us any specific instructions regarding carriage. We may, in our discretion, make partial shipments and invoice each shipment separately. Our shipping dates are approximate only, and we will not be liable for any loss or damages resulting from any delay in delivery. You may not refuse delivery or otherwise be relieved of any obligations as the result of such delay. If our delivery of a product to you is delayed due to any cause within your control, we will place the delayed products in storage at your risk and expense.
- Risk of Loss and Title
6.1 Title to and risk of loss of the products will pass to you when we load them onto the commercial carrier at our facility.
- Returns and Shortages
- Returns. Lighthouse must pre-authorize all product returns. Lighthouse will approve return of any product that is damaged or defective on receipt, provided you contact Lighthouse within five days after receiving the product and provided such damage or defect has not been caused by any failure by you or the carrier to handle or store products using reasonable care or as otherwise indicated on the label. If you do not contact us within this five-day period, we will deem the product to be accepted, but you will not lose any warranty rights. Orders are otherwise final and not returnable.
- Limited Warranties for Consumables. Unless a different warranty is provided in writing, we warrant that each consumable laboratory assay kit will meet its specifications as provided in the corresponding Instructions for Use, product labelling, and documentation provided with the products. This warranty lasts from the time we ship the consumable until the earlier of: (a) the consumable’s expiry or “use by” date; and (b) its specified number of uses. If we do not specify the expiry date, the number of uses, or a different warranty period, the warranty will last for 30 days from the date we ship the product.
- Exclusions. In addition to our exclusion for third party products as set out in Section 8.7 of these Terms, our warranties do not apply to (a) normal wear and tear; (b) accident, disaster or event of force majeure; (c) your misuse, fault or negligence; (d) causes external to the products such as, but not limited to, power failure or electrical power surges; (e) installation, removal, use, maintenance, storage, or handling in an improper, inadequate, or unapproved manner by you or any third party (including the carrier), such as, but not limited to, failure to follow our instructions or operating guidelines, or protocols, operation outside of stated environmental or use specifications, or operation or contact with unapproved equipment, materials, chemicals or other products; or (f) products manufactured in accordance with specifications you gave us. ADDITIONALLY, ANY INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, SERVICE, RELOCATION OR ALTERATION TO OR OF, OR OTHER TAMPERING WITH, THE PRODUCTS PERFORMED BY ANY PERSON OR ENTITY OTHER THAN US WITHOUT OUR PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL, OR ANY USE OF REPLACEMENT PARTS WE HAVE NOT SUPPLIED, WILL IMMEDIATELY VOID AND CANCEL ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE AFFECTED PRODUCTS.
If we determine that products for which you requested warranty services are not covered by the warranty, or if we provide repair services or replacement parts that are not covered by this warranty, you will pay or reimburse us for all costs of investigating and responding to such request at our then prevailing time and materials rates.
- OUR WARRANTIES EXTEND ONLY TO YOU, THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER AND YOU CANNOT TRANSFER THEM. OUR OBLIGATION TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A PRODUCT IS YOUR SOLE REMEDY.
- EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE STATED, WE DISCLAIM ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ORAL OR WRITTEN, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES
- OF MERCHANTABILITY;
- OF FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE; AND/ OR
- THAT THE PRODUCTS ARE ERROR-FREE OR WILL ACCOMPLISH ANY PARTICULAR RESULT.
- Remedies. During the applicable warranty period only, for products not meeting our warranty, we agree, in our sole discretion, to repair or replace the non-conforming product as reasonably necessary to comply with our warranty obligations, but you must first promptly notify us in writing when you discover any defect or nonconformance, and include in the notice clear details of your warranty claim. After our review, assuming we authorize the product return, we will provide you with service data and/or a written authorization to submit a return, which may include biohazard decontamination procedures and other product-specific handling instructions that you must follow. For valid product warranty claims timely made in accordance with this Agreement, you must return the non-conforming products to us, unless we agree otherwise, and we will prepay the shipping costs. We will ship your repaired or replacement products according to our Delivery terms in Section 5 of these Terms.
- Third Party Products. We do not support or make any warranties about products manufactured or supplied by third parties that you purchase through any of our sales channels. When you buy a third-party product, we will let you know that this purchase is governed by the third-party’s own contract terms. You must look directly to the relevant third-party manufacturer for product support, warranties, and to make warranty claims. We agree, however, to assign to you any warranty rights we may receive from the original manufacturer or third-party supplier, to the extent the original manufacturer or third party supplier allows.
- Indemnifications as to Products
- Our Indemnity.
- Our Infringement Indemnity. We will defend and indemnify you against infringement damages finally awarded in any legal action brought by a third party against you alleging infringement of any intellectual property rights owned by third parties arising directly and solely from a product, as manufactured and provided by us to you, but always excluding use and/or combination of such product with other products or components. This infringement indemnity does not apply to (a) claims that arose based on your failure to comply with the Agreement; (b) claims that arose based on your failure to acquire any applicable additional intellectual property rights related to your use of the products (“Additional Rights”); (c) products that we made, assembled or labeled in reliance upon your instructions, specifications, or other directions; (d) your use or resale of products; (e) modifications made by you or any third party; or (f) products originating from third parties.
THIS INDEMNITY IS OUR ONLY LIABILITY TO YOU, AND, SUBJECT TO SECTION 11.4 OF THESE TERMS, YOUR ONLY REMEDY, FOR ANY INFRINGEMENT OR CLAIMED INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS BY OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PRODUCT.
- Conditions to Our Indemnity. As a condition to our indemnification obligations you must (a) notify us in writing, as soon as you become aware of any claim; (b) not admit any liability or take any other action in connection with the claim that could affect the defense; (c) allow us to solely control the defense or settlement of the claim; (d) give us your reasonable information, cooperation and assistance; and (e) take all reasonable steps to mitigate losses incurred, including allowing us to exercise any and all of options set out in Section 11.4 of these Terms.
- Your Indemnity of Us. If a third party makes a claim against us for infringement of its intellectual property rights based on (a) our manufacture or sale of a product or custom product we make under your instructions, specifications, or other directions, or using materials that you provide to us (b) your failure to comply with the Agreement, (c) your failure to acquire any applicable Additional Rights, or (d) your modification, use or resale of a product, then you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs of defending and/or settling any action) that we may have to pay as a result of the claim.
- Intellectual Property
- Use Limitations. As between you and us, we exclusively own all intellectual property rights relating to our products and services. Unless we expressly state otherwise in writing, our sale of products to you grants you only a limited, nontransferable right under our intellectual property to use the quantity of products purchased from us for your internal purposes. No right to transfer, distribute or resell our products or any of their components is conveyed expressly, by implication, or by estoppel. Unless expressly permitted by us in writing, you will not modify, change, remove, cover or otherwise obscure any of our brands, trade or service marks on the products. Nothing in the Agreement limits our ability to enforce our intellectual property rights.
- Intellectual Property Ownership. We exclusively own all intellectual property rights in any inventions (patentable or otherwise), discoveries, improvements, data, know-how, or other results that are conceived, developed, discovered, reduced to practice, or generated by or for us, or jointly by you and us, in relation to processes, designs and methods utilized in manufacture of a custom product. You agree to transfer and assign to us all your right, title, and interest in and to any joint intellectual property. At our request and at our expense, you will help us secure and record our rights in such intellectual property.
- Intellectual Property Infringement. We want to avoid claims of intellectual property infringement. If we believe a product we have sold to you may be subject to a claim for intellectual property infringement, you must allow us (at our option) to either (a) secure for you the right to continue using the product; (b) substitute the product with another suitable product with similar functionality; or (c) tell you to return the product to us and we will refund to you the price you paid.
- Emergency Use Authorization. To the extent you purchase products from us that subject to an emergency use authorization or as otherwise permitted by FDA regulation, statute, or policy, we reserve the right to discontinue selling such products to you if, at any time, such emergency use authorization is revoked or the underlying public emergency is declared to have ended. Your continued use of the product shall be at your own discretion and sole risk.
- Limitations and Exclusions of Liability
- TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY IN TORT OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND) FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, MULTIPLE, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ALL COSTS OF COVER, LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF GOODWILL OR LOSS OF REVENUE) THAT YOU MIGHT INCUR UNDER THE AGREEMENT, OR THAT MAY ARISE FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, EVEN IF WE HAD NOTICE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- IN ADDITION, OUR MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE AGREEMENT, OR ANY PRODUCT UNIT OR SERVICE, IS LIMITED TO 110% OF THE AMOUNT YOU PAID TO US FOR THE SPECIFIC PRODUCT PURCHASED THAT GAVE RISE TO THE LIABILITY.
- THE PROVISIONS ABOVE IN THIS SECTION 14 DO NOT LIMIT OUR LIABILITY THAT CANNOT BE LIMITED BY LAW.
- Regulatory Restrictions. In addition to the restrictions set out in Section 11 of these Terms: (a) you must use our products in accordance with our instructions; (b) you are solely responsible for making sure that the way you use our products complies with applicable laws, regulations and governmental policies; (c) you must obtain all necessary approvals and permissions you may need; and (d) it is solely your responsibility to make sure the products are suitable for your particular use.
- Uncontrollable Circumstances. We will not be responsible or liable for failing to perform our obligations under the Agreement to the extent caused by circumstances beyond our reasonable control. In certain situations, we may use our reasonable judgment and apportion products then available for delivery fairly among our customers.
- Headings. Headings are for convenience only and shall not be used in the interpretation of these Terms.